Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Top Sail

This one is different, in a good way.

This is a 2008 beer, that had already been aged for 10 months before its release to the public. It has since been aged a further year, and has become damn nice.

22 ounces of black 9.85 percent, bourbony goodness. I'm amazed at how pronounced the bourbon flavors and aromas are. If I recall correctly, I had this beer when it was initially released, and while it was good, I don't remember it being this good. I think the age has helped it quite a bit.

It's quite potent, unsurprisingly, but it actually seems stronger than the Paradox Speyside, which had more alcohol. I'll update, perhaps less coherently, after I finish the bottle.

Update: It's mellowed a bit as it warmed while I finished the bottle. Overall, I like this a bunch. The Paradox Speyside was actually more subtle, this one tastes more like they left a couple gallons of bourbon in the cask when the put the beer in for aging. It's a good thing though, it's tasty. If you don't like bourbon, you won't like this though.

1 comment: