Thursday, February 18, 2010

Shmaltz Tasting

The local brew shop (Corvallis Brewing Supply - http://www.brewbeer.cc/) hosted a free beer tasting with Shmaltz brewing and their West coast rep, Zak.

We got to try six of Shmaltz's great beers, four of the Coney Island lagers, and two of the He'brew ales. All the beers were excellent, and I was really surprised at how much I liked their lagers. I'm normally not much of a lager drinker, but I bought two of them to bring home -- they're that good.

The beers we tasted were: (left-to-right in the first photo)

Lagers:
Coney Island Lager
Albino Python
Sword Swallower
Human Blockhead

He'brew ales:
Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah more info here also and such as.

They were all really good.  I came home with the Coney Island Lager and the Human Blockhead, both lagers, both yummeh as can be.  I'll post full reviews of the ones I brought home as I have a chance to drink them and get my thoughts down coherently.  Basically, if you have a chance to get any of these beers, do.  I plan to buy the rest of them after I deplete my existing overstock of beer, and once I do, I'll review them too.

(Oh, and by the way Zak, assuming you read this: the page linked on the Shmaltz website's left menu as "The Chosen Beers" -- http://www.shmaltz.com/HEBREW/chosen-beers.html -- comes up with a "404 not found" error... Not the individual beer pages, but the "chosen beer" link itself)

7 comments:

  1. I assume you bought two of everything, and I'll be receiving a package promptly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: I hate you, so very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh.

    You need to get Zak to come do one of these tastings somewhere in Chico. He's based out of SanFran, so it should be easier for him to get over there than it was to come way up here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully Zak is reading this. I happen to have a neighbor, Doug, who is very active in the Chico home brew club. Perhaps we could arrange something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sean. Of course I was going to read it. I've been keeping my eyes out. It was great getting to me you at the tasting. Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm glad you enjoyed the brews.
    Chris, I live in SF and would love to put something together up in Chico. I won't be there, but on February 27th, the Pretty Things Peepshow (which features two of our Coney Island Sideshow performers) will be over at Lost on Main. If you want to pass my info a long to your buddy, Doug, my email is zak[at]shmaltzbrewing.com.
    Thanks again for the love and I'll pass along the link disfunction issue. L'Chaim!! ~Zak

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, we're still awaiting your reviews Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patience, grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete