Thursday, July 26, 2012

Burnside Stock Ale

ESB
Burnside Brewing, Portland.
22oz bottle, 5.8%abv.

I got all three of these Burnside beers from my mother-in-law for my birthday last Friday. They came as part of a great case from various breweries, some of which I'lbe aging for a while. Thanks Jan!

Pours cloudy gold amber with a thick fluffy head. So far two of the three beers has poured ok. Make of that what you will. Like all the others, this one exhibits considerable chill haze.

Aroma is very mild with little to no hops and a hint of fruitiness. There's a bit of weird green apple aroma in there that is somewhat off putting.

Flavor is also mild, with good balance. Unfortunately there is also something off in the flavor too - kind of a combination of vegetables and plastic. It's not overpowering, but it's noticeable.

Finish is clean and crisp, but like the other beers there is a sharp bitterness that comes out strongly and lingers.

Overall I think all of these have been the kinds of beers I'd expect from a halfway decent homebrewer, but they are not up to par for a pro.

That's unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment