Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Burnside IPA

Burnside Brewing, Portland.
22oz bottle, 6.6% abv.

Pours ridiculously foamy. That was a gentle pour in the photo.

After the foam settles it's a cloudy gold color.

Aroma is hoppy and floral but not over the top.

Flavor is surprisingly mild, with a nice hop and malt balance, but then a big wallop of hop bitterness comes on strong and lingers forever.

Not sure* what my overall impression is, it is definitely an interesting beer. It's pretty annoying that I can't actually pour a proper pint no matter how gently I try though.

* Update: My overall impression is "meh" -- the foam never got better so it took forever to drink the beer. That meant it warmed up quite a bit, and once that happened some pretty harsh piney notes appeared. I like a hint of piney hops but this became a bit much taking on a floor-cleaner-esque "Pine Sol" aroma. When combined with the strong lingering harsh bitterness and stupid foam just made it not worth the trouble. The one positive is the initially pleasant hop/malt balance -- I like noticeable malt in my IPAs and this made me hopeful, unfortunately the rest of it is just too unbalanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment