Monday, August 23, 2010

Allagash Four Ale

Allagash brewing, Portland Maine
10%abv 750ml bottle

Billed on the label as "4 malts 4 hops fermented 4 times" you can understand where the name comes from. This was the last beer in the most recent big "Being Belgian" tasting I did a couple of weeks ago. I purchased this bottle because I felt that it was probably tasty, but my worn-out palate couldn't tell. I was right.

Pours dark amber/nearly brown, with a thick light head that lingers properly.

Aroma is malty, with some pleasant roast and a subtle hint of cola. Not really a hint of any of the four hops though.

Flavor is delightfully malty with some great chocolate caramel and toasty notes. Again though, the hops don't really assert themselves in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp. The finish is a bit toward sweet, but overall it's very balanced. There is some warmth as you might expect from something of this strength.

A very good beer overall. I'm going to stop typing and enjoy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment