Wednesday, March 10, 2010

J.W. Lees Harvest ale

Matured in calvados casks. 2006 brewing from the U.K.

275ml bottle, 11.5%abv

Not sure about this one. I'd hoped that since it's been aged for four years it would be nice and dry, but it's not. It smells sweet, it tastes sweet, and it finishes sticky sweet.

First impression: meh. Lots of alcohol, some decent wine- or sherry-like notes, but too unbalanced for me. If it improves as it warms I'll update the post.

Update: It's getting better. There are some pleasant spicy hints coming out as it warms that are balancing it out a bit. There are definitely lots of dried-fruit notes that dominate, but the spice is a nice complement.

Oh, and I looked up what "Calvados" is -- I assumed it was some sort of liquor, but didn't know what kind. It's apple brandy. Having never tasted it, I don't know what it's lending to the beer. I'll take their word for it that it's doing something.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not having much luck with high % abv beers lately. Not well balanced, and the overwhelming booze makes them slightly icky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this one was not good at all when I first cracked it open. It got a bit better, but was a disappointment over all.

    It's like some of the really over-the-top hoppy IPAs that people make. Just because you can throw three pounds of hops in a batch, doesn't mean you should, and that it'll turn out decent. At least a token thought of balance would be nice.

    ReplyDelete