Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mikkeller Holiday Ale tasting

As noted earlier, today's the first day of Advent, so I get to start the Advent beer calendar my wonderful wife got me for xmas.

This beer is described on its label as "Holiday Ale Brewed With Spices" -- that may be, but it really tastes like kind of a strong chocolate/coffee stout or robust porter, with some extra caramel and almost cola-like notes.

It's a very tasty beer, great flavor, with a surprisingly crisp mouthfeel and clean finish. Doesn't feel like an 8 percent beer. Overall a great way to start the calendar!

Addendum: Just a quick update -- as I near the end of the (large) bottle, and have let it warm a bit, the flavor has become quite a bit more complex. Some subtle spice notes have come out, but most pronounced is a really nice touch of sourness. So, the beer's yummy cold, but great at about 60 degrees. I'd definitely buy this beer again.

No comments:

Post a Comment