Saturday, June 26, 2010

Deschutes Brewing Hop In The Dark

Cascadian Dark Ale
22oz bottle, 6.5%abv

"Cascadian Dark Ale" is a new style developed here in the Northwest. It's basically IPA with some dark roasted malt added to give it the black color and some flavor.

There's a very IPA-esque hop nose with a hint of toastiness.

Flavor is light and crisp, with little malt sweetness, but a moderate roasted flavor. Not overpowering.

Mouthfeel is correspondingly light with a firm bitter finish.

Overall a good beer. I like the style, but I think I might like it better if the base IPA that it started from was a more malty one to begin with. A bit more malt character could be nice, without moving into brown ale or porter range. I guess I'll have to just try making that myself...

I've reviewed another CDA here -- the "O'Dark 30" from Oakshire -- but this Deschutes offering is a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment